ZnS and LiF based Neutron Detectors
The BC-700 series plastic scintillators are formulated for the efficient detection of neutrons in the presence of gamma radiation. They can be coupled directly to a photomultiplier tube or light guide. A variety of detector materials are offered for Thermal and Fast Neutron detection. These can be grouped into two categories according to their response to neutron and gamma radiation:
Fast Neutron Detection
- BC-720 consists of ZnS(Ag) phosphor embedded in a clear hydrogenous plastic.
Thermal Neutron Detection
- BC-702 is a matrix of a lithium compound enriched to 95% 6Li dispersed in a fine ZnS(Ag) phosphor powder.
- BC-704 is a phosphor screen based on ZnS(Ag) and 6Li.
- BC-705 is a phosphor screen based on zinc sulfide activated with copper, i.e., ZnS(Cu)
- NeuPort / NeuTruck is a 6LiF/ZnS(Ag) based neutron detector to replace He3 tube in Radiation Portal and Mobile Monitors. Proprietary Pulse Shape Discrimination (PSD) algorithm is employed to count neutrons and reject gamma ray events.
- BC-720 detects fast neutrons while being insensitive to gamma radiation
- BC-702 detects thermal neutrons and very little gamma sensitivity
- BC-704 and BC-705 are for thermal neutron radiography
- NeuTruck and NeuPort replaces He-3 systems without modification of existing electronics or significant changes in voltage and provides performance that meets or exceeds ANSI standards
- BC-702: 38, 50, 76, 127mm diameters x 6.35mm thick Disc
- BC-720: 38, 50, 76, 127mm diameters x 15.9mm thick Disc
- BC-704 and BC-705: Up to 300 x 300mm screen x 1mm thick, integrated with PMT