General characteristics of liquid scintillators are presented in the physical constants table below.
Liquid scintillators should be sealed in clean, dry, chemically inert containers. Prior to use, they are deoxygenated to assure that the scintillators achieve their optimum performance. Liquid scintillators are available in bulk or sealed in containers of glass or aluminum. See the individual material page for details.
Intended for applications involving neutron detection in the presence of gamma radiation.
High flash point makes it suitable for use in large volume detectors
mineral oil scintillators have flash points rendering them relatively safe for use in large tanks where exceptionally long mean free paths are essential
BC-521 is used in neutron spectrometry, neutrino research | BC-525, with its mineral oil component, has higher light transmission and higher flash point than traditional gadolinium loaded liquids.
Useful for total absorption neutron spectrometry
Designed to maintain its clarity and fluid state at -50°C. It is used for detection of γ, fast n, cosmic rays
Cells for Liquid Scintillators
Liquid scintillator cells are containers, usually made of glass or aluminum, with at least one ground-and-polished port available for viewing by a photomultiplier tube (PMT). The scintillators are deoxygenated for improved stability and light output; and, the cells have expansion reservoirs containing oxygen-free nitrogen to maintain this condition.
Unless otherwise instructed, glass cells will be coated with a diffuse white reflector. Non-glass cells will have an internal white reflector. The reflector and construction materials are selected for long-term compatibility. Aluminum cells have a clear-anodized surface treatment.
- Aluminum and glass cells
- One or two viewing ports
- Flanges available for aluminum cells
- Other geometries available including regular and tapered hexagonal
- For applicable scintillators, neutron source and pulse shape discrimination test measurements
Aluminum cell housing description:
- MVB-1 Vertical orientation only; one PMT viewing port
- MAB-1F Any orientation; one PMT viewing port; mounting flange
- MAB-2F Any orientation; two PMT viewing ports; mounting flange
- MTP-1 Horizontal or vertical orientation; one PMT viewing port
Glass liquid cell description:
- VB-1 Vertical orientation only; one PMT viewing port
- HB-1,2 Horizontal orientation only; one or two PMT viewing ports
- TPB-1,2 Horizontal or vertical orientation; one or two PMT viewing ports
Physical Constants of Saint-Gobain Crystals Liquid Scintillators
|Scintillator||Light Output % Anthracene1||Wavelength of Maximum Emission, nm||Decay Constant, ns||H:C Ratio||Loading Element||Density||Flash Point °C|
|BC-521||60||425||4||1.31||Gd (to 1%)||0.89||44|
|BC-523||65||425||3.7||1.74||Nat. 10B (5%)||0.916||-8|
|BC-523A||65||425||3.7||1.67||Enr. 10B (5%)||0.916||-8|
|BC-525||55||425||3.8||1.56||Gd (to 1%)||0.88||91|
* Anthracene light output = 40-50% of NaI(Tl) 1Fast component; mean decay times of first 3 components = 3.16, 32.3 and 270 ns
The data presented are believed to be correct but are not guaranteed to be so. Nothing herein shall be construed as suggesting the use of our product in violation of any laws, regulations, or rights of third parties. User should evaluate suitability and safety of product for user’s application. We cannot assume liability for results that user obtains with our products since conditions of use are not under our control.