Mineral oil-based liquid scintillators are used in large tanks where exceptionally long mean free paths are essential and high light output is of secondary importance. These mineral oil scintillators are compatible with acrylic plastics such as Plexiglas® and Perspex®, plus a wide variety of metals and some other plastics and reflective coatings. Glue joints made with solvent action cements should be annealed.
Mineral oil scintillators have flash points rendering them relatively safe for use in large containers and large-volume detector arrays. They are especially suited where the expense of large-area plastic scintillators would be prohibitive.
We take special care when manufacturing its mineral oil liquid scintillators. Our people are keenly aware of the particularly high requirements regarding light transmission and product uniformity demanded by the physics community. Therefore, in addition to employing standard, rigorous purification and handling techniques, SGC uses special test facilities for light transmission measurement in order to guarantee customer satisfaction with every shipment of this scintillator.
- γ, fast n, cosmic, charged particles
- BC-517L standard formulation
- BC-517H high light output
- BC-517P lowest cost, highest H content, high light transmission, chemical inertness, highest flashpoint
- BC-517S highest light output of mineral oil-based scintillators
- Bulk: 1 Liter, 1 gallon (3.8 liters), 5 gallons (19 liters), 25 gallons (95 liters) and 55-gallon quantities.
- MAB or MVB metal cells with typical 1"x1", 2"x2", 3"x3" & 5" diameters x 5" depth
- VB-1, TPB-1, HB-1 glass cells: 1.5"x1.5", 2"x2" and 3" diameter x 3" depth
|Light Output, %Anthracene|
|Saturated with Nitrogen||66||52||39||28|
|Saturated with Air||51||40||30||21|
|Mean Free Path for 400-500nm light, meters||>4||>4||>5||>6|
|Wavelength of Maximum Emission, nm||425||425||425||425|
|No. of H Atoms per cc (x1022)||6.50||7.06||7.40||7.50|
|No. of C Atoms per cc (x1022)||3.83||3.73||3.68||3.65|
|Ratio H: C Atoms||1.70||1.89||2.01||2.05|
|General Technical Data|
|Flash Point, T.O.C||53°C||81°C||102°C||115°C|